Sitting down for prolonged periods can cause a number of health issues such as pressure sores, skin breakdown and muscle weakness.
If you sit in a wheelchair for the most part of your days, it is very crucial to have the best wheelchair cushion for preventing pressure sores and other issues.
Wheelchair cushions help to relieve pressure and distribute the body weight evenly so you can be comfortable and not get pressure sores on your thighs and buttocks.
Here we will discuss in length what pressure sore cushions are, their benefits and review some of the best wheelchair cushion for pressure relief.
What Are Wheelchair Cushions For Pressure Sores?
Wheelchair pads are special cushions made of a variety of materials to help you as a wheelchair user to position yourself comfortably so you can have the right posture and avoid pressure sores and back pain.
According to SCI Nursing magazine, up to 30% of people with spinal injuries develop skin sores at some point the first five years in the wheelchair because of sitting for too long in an uncomfortable cushion.
Types of Wheelchair Cushion Materials.
- Foam Cushions
Foam cushions are the most common because they are affordable and low maintenance.
However, foam cushions are available in several levels of firmness from low density to multiple layers of foam designed for more comfort and better pressure management.
Unfortunately, they compress easily and wear out quick.
- Gel Cushions
The best thing about gel is that it conforms to impact so your body will immerse into the gel pack giving you great pressure relief and comfort.
A gel cushion for wheelchair is amazing because it offers advance positioning and it has a contoured base.
It’s also a low cost, low maintenance option with more benefits but they don’t absorb shock well.
- Air-Filled Cushions
These types of cushions for wheelchairs for pressure are filled with air instead of foam or gel so you can adjust the firmness by reducing or increasing air.
While air-filled cushions don’t have a stable sitting surface, they are extremely good at pressure relief because your pressure points sink into the cushion.
However, air filled cushions are not cheap and you need to monitor the air pressure regularly so they are not low maintenance either.
- Honeycomb Cushions
If you want a cushion that absorbs shock well and doesn’t bottom out quickly, honeycomb cushions are the best choice.
This type is rare and costly than all the above types but it allows even distribution of weight and increased air flow to keep you comfortable and cool for long.
Why Do You Need a Wheelchair Cushion?
- Pressure sore cushions for wheelchairs help to distribute body weight evenly throughout the siting surface instead of applying pressure on one single point.
- A cushion protects the skin from pressure sores and other skin conditions causes by sitting for too long.
- A cushion enables you to sit comfortably in an upright position so you don’t hurt your spine further.
- Prevents back and neck pain.
- Prevents sweating and sticking to the wheelchair surface by wicking away moisture.
- Reduce friction and absorb shock.
Check This before Buying the Best Wheelchair Cushion for Preventing Pressure Sores.
How much maintenance is required to keep the cushion clean and useful?
Unless you have someone who will be changing the cushion every day to clean it, choose something that is low maintenance like gel or foam or buy a cushion cover that can be removed and cleaned.
Before ordering the best wheelchair cushion for preventing pressure sores, make sure you measure the dimensions of the wheelchair and also then consider the height of the user.
The cushion must fit the wheelchair perfectly and allow enough room for you to fit your legs under a table.
- Weight Capacity
How much weight can the cushion handle without bottoming up fast?
Gel and foam are not the best cushions for people who are very heavy because they bottom up real quick.
Choose air-filled or honeycomb cushions if your weight is on the higher side and you need better shock absorption.
- Cooling Capability
One of the main benefits of wheelchair seat cushions for pressure sores is increased air flow and cooling effect that prevents sweating.
Choose a material that will keep your bottom and back cool enough because being hot and sweaty is very uncomfortable.
How much money do you want to spend on the best wheelchair cushion versus the benefits?
Different types of seat cushions for bedsores differ in cost so you have to consider your preference and needs.
However, a cushion should not cost you an arm and a leg because it has extra features while all you need are just the basic features.
Wheelchair Cushions For Pressure Sores.
1. Aylio Coccyx Seat Cushion | Pressure Sore Cushions For Wheelchairs.
Aylio Coccyx Seat Cushion is designed to take pressure off your body whether you are sitting on a wheelchair, office chair, and airplane or on a flat couch.
The best feature about this cushion is the u-shaped cut out located on the rear that leaves your coccyx suspended on the air instead of touching the seating surface eliminating the pressure and pain.
- U-shaped cut out design
- Contoured surface
- Lightweight and portable
- Plush washable cover
- The cushion follows the contours of your buttocks and thighs to align the spine and distribute weight evenly
- You can take it everywhere with you because its light
- Easy to wash thanks to the soft velvet cover
- Its versatile and can be used in many occasions
- Prevents back pain and discomfort
- The foam flattens after a while.
2. PURAP Cushion For Wheelchairs And Pressure Sores.
PURAP Cushion For Wheelchairs was designed by someone who understands the pain of losing a loved one to pressure sores.
It is uniquely designed with 3 mediums to eliminate pressure hotspots and also heal pressure sores.
- 3D floatation technology that include fluid, air and foam
- Anti-skid bottom
- Breathable and waterproof cover
- Clinically tested at Stanford University
- It heals and prevents pressure sores
- It provides sitting comfort no matter what condition you are suffering from
- It’s cool and breathable
- Its thin and portable
- It fits in any sit and can be used in many occasions
- It does not slide off the chair
- Provides long term pressure reduction
- It’s a very expensive cushion.
3. Vive Wheelchair Cushion For Pressure Sores Tailbone Pain Relief.
Vive Wheelchair Cushion is a unique masterpiece that is made of gel and foam to combat the weaknesses of each type.
The gel cushion for wheelchair seat features 4 layers of supportive comfort that comprise of a water resistant soft cover, waterproof seal, supportive foam and liquid gel at the core that distributes weight evenly across the surface.
- 2 layers of waterproof material
- Liquid gel core
- Removable soft and luxurious cover
- Optimal size for any wheelchair
- You don’t have to worry about spills as the cushion is completely waterproof
- The combination of gel and foam means better performance and durability
- Easy to clean the removable cover
- Enhances comfortable sitting and pressure relief
- Its heavy-duty and portable
- It’s very affordable
- Some customers feel that the cushion is too thin.
4. Drive Medical Wheelchair Seat Cushion For Pressure Relief.
Drive Medical Wheelchair Seat Cushion is one of the best pressure relief cushions for chairs designed to prevent and treat pressure sores and back pain.
The cushion is made of a viscous gel bladder that is encased in a fire retardant foam shell to provide optimal pressure relief and weight distribution.
- Urethane-coated nylon cover
- Polyurethane foam shell
- Viscous gel bladder
- Waterproof base cover
- Removable cover
- 275 weight capacity
- Attached handle
- The cover is vapor permeable and waterproof to keep you cool and dry
- The cushion is easy to maintain because the cover is removable and replaceable
- Non-slip vinyl base keeps the cushion intact
- The cushion is waterproof and very durable
- The nylon cover is slippery so you can slide off.
5. Wondergel The Original Wheelchair Pressure Sore Cushions.
Wondergel is without a doubt one of the best cushion for wheelchair as it provides superior comfort by eliminating pressure points.
This Wondergel Original Gel Seat Cushion For Wheelchairs uses the patented principle of column buckling which mean that the wondergel columns buckle and distribute excess weight and pressure to the neighboring columns therefore eliminating any pressure points from you.
- It adjusts to the human shape and weight
- Ultra soft, ultra strong for comfortable support
- Breathable gel fills
- The elastic gel returns to its original shape immediately when you move
- Its durable and doesn’t bottom up after a while
- It keeps you cool and dry all day
- It’s the most comfortable wheelchair cushion
- Its portable
- It can be used in any seat or chair
- The gel cushion is a bit cold and pricey.
Before buying a cushion for wheelchair, make sure you consult your doctor and other experts in medical supply and mobility stores to determine the best wheelchair cushion for preventing pressure sore.
Know that it’s okay to try out several cushions before buying so you can choose the one that feels the best on your body.