The best recliners for elderly are upgraded with supportive features such as smooth powerlifts, massaging and heating features, footrests and backrests, in addition to luxurious cushioning making them great for seniors with back problems, weak knees, those recovering from a surgery among others.
Also, as compared to conventional recliners, they are easier to get into and vacate.
They can also be great mobility aids with some coming with a swivel feature which enable seniors to easily zip from one corner to the other without getting up.
In short, the best recliners for elderly people are very beneficial pieces of furniture and guarantee maximum support and comfort for elders.
Let’s look at them in more detail:
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Recliner Chair For Seniors?
- 2 Different Types of Recliners Suitable For Elderly People.
- 3 Why Are Recliners For Seniors Necessary?
- 4 How To Choose The Right Type Of Recliner For Senior Citizens.
- 5 Top 5 Reclining Chairs For Elderly.
- 5.1 1. Coaster Home Furnishings Power Lift Chair Recliner.
- 5.2 2. Giantex Power Lift Chair Recliner Chair With Remote.
- 5.3 3. MAGIC UNION Power Lift Electric Recliner Chairs For The Elderly.
- 5.4 4. Mecor Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair for Elderly with Remote Control
- 5.5 4. Divano Power Lift Recliner Chair For Senior.
What Is A Recliner Chair For Seniors?
This is one of the best comfort chairs for elderly. A recliner is a sofa or an armchair that reclines whenever the user lowers the seat’s back and elevates its front.
A senior recliner chair typically has a cushy backrest that tilts backwards, plus a footrest that can either be extended manually using a lever fitted on the side or which extends automatically when its back is reclined.
Different Types of Recliners Suitable For Elderly People.
Recliners for senior citizens may differ in terms of design and style. Indeed, we even have recliners for seniors’ purposely made to help seniors with medical conditions such as back problems and even limited mobility.
Here are the common types of elderly recliner chairs:
1. Massage Recliners
These type of reclining chairs for elderly massage the back and your legs. They can also help you to lift or recline.
Some come with an optional heating mechanism and so elders can find them very comforting to sit in after a busy day.
2. Rocker Recliners
A rocker recliner simply rocks!
If you’re an elder who suffer from insomnia, be ready to be soothed to sweet sleep by it rocking motion.
And the good thing is that you can still make it your bed by fully reclining it.
Additionally, most rocker reclining chairs for elderly have a swivel feature so you can easily hop around without getting up.
3. Lift Chairs (Risers)
Lift chairs are recliners which come with a motorized mechanism to push the recliner up from the base so as to be easier to disembark from.
They’re another set of chairs for the elderly with weak knees or general problems using their legs.
Since they take varying shapes and sizes, you will always find something to fit your body.
4. Two-Position Recliners for Old People
These recliners for old people have two positions: fully reclined or upright and are hence a bit limited in functionality.
They’re the most affordable chairs though when fully reclined though tend to occupy a bigger space since the recliner has to move back as the chair’s footrest pops up.
5. Wall-Hugger Recliners
Seniors who live in compact spaces prefer wall-hugger recliners.
They take up minimal space and fit comfortably in squeezed rooms.
And if you have a bad knee, some wall huggers are perfect because they’re specially made to adjust a bit higher so that elders can easily rise up from them.
Why Are Recliners For Seniors Necessary?
So, why should you bother with the best recliners for elderly?
Well, traditionally recliners chairs were associated with lazing in front of the television and lounging.
But they now do much more thanks to their continued evolution and improved features including:
Obviously the recline feature, footrest, backrest, and swivel features make these chairs extremely comfortable.
Seniors will therefore lounge and relax in utmost luxury after a hard day out.
- They Help with Mobility Problems
Contemporary recliners for elderly have been enhanced with features such as a motorized lift mechanism that help seniors with mobility issues to sit and also get up better.
This reduces stress on joints as you get up and sit down.
- Help With Back Problems
Some recliners have a fantastic heat and massaging feature which greatly benefit those with back issues.
Heating the lumbar region may help soothe back pain and encourage quicker healing for somebody recovering from a surgery or those with arthritis.
Orthopedic chairs for the elderly will also help in eliminating pain from back muscles while the massage helps boost blood circulation throughout the body enabling critical body organs making you to feel healthier.
- They Promote Good Posture
Further, chairs for elderly riser recliner enhance posture and proper body positioning and will thus play an important role in sustaining your spine in proper shape.
How To Choose The Right Type Of Recliner For Senior Citizens.
Choosing the best recliner for elderly may not be a walk in the pack but it’s easier if you know about the features that matter.
Here they are:
- Special Needs
You or the senior citizen you’re buying for may have special needs for example back problems, spine issues, and such.
In such a case, you will be forced to go for an old people chair with the features necessary to make them more comfortable.
The best recliners for elderly are supposed to work well- from having a functional recline, a working footrest, an efficient heating and massage function (where necessary) …everything should function smoothly.
Of course how comfortable it will be will have a bearing on what you’ll eventually pick.
Check the quality of its fabric and ensure it’s comfortable for you.
It should also have a comfortable backrest, sufficient padding, offer head support (and lateral support) and also be easy to get in/out of.
Plus, if possible, be fully adjustable.
- Ease of Cleaning
The chair you select should be easier to clean and it preferably should not trap dirt and bacteria. So check its frame, the fabric, and the potential areas where dirt can accumulate.
All should be easy to reach and wipe.
- Battery-Operated Vs Electric-Powered
Some recliner Chairs are battery-operated while others are electric-powered. Generally, electric recliner chairs for the elderly are more convenient because they neither need recharging nor the replacement of batteries.
Some of the stylish recliners match superbly with existing décor and sometimes portray an image of exclusivity and a sharp sense of fashion.
Unlike in the past, manufacturers are now putting bells and whistles even on small recliners for elderly and you no longer have to sacrifice looks just because it’s a recliner chair.
Some high-end recliners offer a number of bonus features that delivers a high class experience.
For example, some have an extra tall base and are very good with taller elders. Others have an elongated handle so you can easily reach the reclining mechanism.
Seniors with long limbs can also find more relief from recliners with extra-long legrests.
We even have special recliners for the left-handed. These have the recliner handle positioned conveniently on their left-hand side.
Top 5 Reclining Chairs For Elderly.
1. Coaster Home Furnishings Power Lift Chair Recliner.
Upholstered in a pretty chocolate textured chenille material, this Coaster Home Furnishings Power Lift Chair is another soft and super comfortable recline sofa.
Its unique back shape gives more back support in addition to helping relieve stiffness, pain, and tension.
The seat is wide enough to allow easier entry and adjusts quietly to the desired position. Still, the cushions are lavishly plush as are the armrests.
Conveniently, this electric powered recliner chair has a spot where you can install emergency backup so you can continue enjoy it even during a blackout.
Coming to assembly, this comes with clear instructions meaning the chair is pretty easy to assemble.
Then, it’s a wall-hugger and thus takes up very minimal spacing in your living room.
All in all, the coaster home furnishing recliner is phenomenal for seniors- especially those regaining strength after a bout of illness.
- Power lift Recliner
- Upholstery: textured Chenille (Chocolate).
- Emergency backup
- It’s very easy to put together.
- The lift function operates well and quietly.
- This recliner sofa delivers generous lumbar support.
- The chair is easy to get vacate or enter.
- The upholstery and cushioning feel soft and helps support your back.
- It’s not that large so taller and larger elders may find it a bit uncomfortable.
- It is a bit heavy so you may need help to move it from one corner to another.
The Chocolate colored power wall-hugger recliner has an emergency backup and a smooth reclining mechanism and offers maximum comfort and support for seniors.
2. Giantex Power Lift Chair Recliner Chair With Remote.
Zero gravity recliners are designed in such a way that your body is put into a posture or position that reduces back pain and muscle pressure and thus contribute to a more relaxed lifestyle.
This Giantex Power Lift Chair Recliner is no exception…
We also love its remote controlled powerlift which easily adjusts to different positions making it very ideal for seniors recovering from surgery.
As a matter of fact, its remote control has a cord so seniors easily trace it in case it gets lost.
Then, the best recliners for elderly put’s comfort first and this follows the same trend…
The padded arms, footrest, massage feature, and tufted back deliver ultimate luxury.
By the same token and just like its predecessor – the Mecor Electric Power Lift Recliner, its high quality fabric is filled with ultra-high-density sponge and therefore feels very tender on your back.
Not to mention that it brings a polished look into your living room with its appealing dark color.
- High-quality dark color fabric
- High-density sponge
- Simple two button remote control
- Capacity: 330lbs
- It’s made of breathable material so your back remains even during searing summer mid-day sun.
- The material and the dense padding feel very tender and helps relax the back.
- The material doesn’t smell even when new.
- The recline operates smoothly and easily lifts to enable the elderly to safely stand up and get from the chair.
- This gravity sofa recliner chair seems durable enough and may serve for a long time.
- It may not be that comfortable for taller elders.
With a simplified two button control, a cozy built, and a whisper quiet recline, this recliner chair is super ideal for seniors recovering from surgery.
3. MAGIC UNION Power Lift Electric Recliner Chairs For The Elderly.
Massage therapy is one of the more effective ways of helping to treat common conditions such as arthritis, anxiety, and acute lower back pain.
With four massaging focal areas (leg, tight, back, lumbar,) and five preset massaging functions (pulse, auto, normal, press, wave), this MAGIC UNION Power Lift Electric Recliner has one of the best massaging function.
It’s able to deliver deep tissue massage which is not only relaxing but also helps in releasing the popular “happy hormones”- serotonin and oxytocin.
In addition, it’s heating (in the lumbar region), and vibration functions promote healthy blood circulation so your body organs will be getting sufficient oxygen and nutrients, leading to a healthier kidney and heart.
Then, it’s made of the extremely beautiful PU leather, has 4 handy storage pockets (for personal effects) plus 2 cup holders to allow you enjoy your best drink as you relax.
Moving on, its lift function works awesomely- it’s neither too fast nor too slow and permits seniors to get off the chair independently.
- PU leather finish
- Storage pockets, cup holders
- Vibration & heating functions
- Remote controlled powerlift
- Massaging function
- It has a cool, beautiful finishing.
- The storage pockets plus cup holders provide a convenient place to rest a drink or hold personal items.
- The heat and massaging functions works like a charm.
- The lift is neither too fast nor too slow and will allow elders to get out without assistance.
- This recliner is very easy to assemble.
- It doesn’t recline fully so you may not sleep comfortably.
With a superb massaging function coupled with a handy heating (in the lumbar region), this is an excellent recliner for a senior looking to enjoy a healthy relaxing massage.
4. Mecor Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair for Elderly with Remote Control
Mecor Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair is one of the most sought-after electric chairs for seniors and for good reasons…
First, the powered lift design makes it one of the easiest to get out of because the senior can easily adjust the entire chair to the height that he feels comfortable to rise from.
Then, it’s remote-controlled recline can extend up to 135 degrees while extending the footrest enabling you to fully stretch (and relax).
The chair is made of a premium leather material while the seat is cushioned with deep foam. Further, the backhead has an extra thick sponge.
All these make it very, very comfortable
Apart from this, it has an ergonomic shape and will adapt to your lumbar and spine- in the process helping to care for your cervical spine.
You have 2 cup-holders to hold your favorite drink as you relax, a side pocket, and some pouches on the front for accommodating your phone, remote control, a book, or other personal effects.
And if you have piled up the pounds, this recliner is fine with that- it comfortably accommodates up to 325 pounds.
- Powered lift design (2-button remote control operated)
- High-quality leather fabric
- Polyester padded pillow
- Ergonomic design
- Cup holders, Front pouches, Side pocket
- Weight capacity: 325 pounds
- You can adjust its height to your desired point so it’s easy to get out of.
- The side pockets and front pouches offer you some extra conveniences by holding a drink or personal effects.
- The recliner is ergonomic and perfectly supports seniors with back problems and spine issues.
- It reclines easily up to 135 degrees so it allows you to stretch fully (and relax)
- The leather looks sleek and fashionable.
- The bottom wheels don’t lock so it can keep sliding around.
A remote-control operated powerlift, superiorly padded back and armrests, heavily cushioned seat, and an ergonomic design makes this is one of the top-most electric recliners for seniors.
4. Divano Power Lift Recliner Chair For Senior.
Recliners which go completely flat allow you to nap comfortably and are popular with users from different backgrounds.
Because they happen to be infinitely adjustable, they always deliver unrivalled relaxation.
Whether you are sitting, rising, want to recline fully or to just have your feet raised, these adjusts comfortably around you.
The Divano Power Lift Recliner Chair is an ultra-plush fully reclining sofa which rises effortlessly from a sitting position to a hoisted position whenever you want to step out.
The reclining and lifting system is easily controlled by the accompanying remote control and powered by a super silent motor.
Moreover, all the positions- from upright to 100% recline are fully supported by the design and balance of the chair’s base.
This chair is upholstered using a comfortable and durable bonded leather material.
In addition, you can choose either black or brown depending on your taste.
- Black / brown bonded leather
- Power lift
- Remote control
- 100% recline
- It reclines fully and thus offers more relaxation positions.
- The seat comes at an affordable pricing.
- It’s easy to get in/out of.
- The chair is easier to assemble and to use.
- It’s one of the most beautiful recliner chairs around.
- The recliner is a bit noisy when rising or sitting down.
The fully-reclining Divano powerlift recliner delivers immense comfort, aesthetics, and convenience and could be outstanding for seniors.
Wrapping It Up:
The best recliners for elderly deliver some unique benefits to senior citizens including health benefits such as back pain relief and luxurious comfort.
They come in a wider range of styles and designs including the electric riser recliner chairs for the elderly, wall-huggers, riser recliners and more.
With such a mix of styling, it’s easy to land a recliner to match an elder’s special needs, aesthetics, décor, and personal tastes.
If possible, you can go for the high-end recliners as they offer an unforgettable experience due to their enhanced features.